Wednesday 1 January 2014

A fresh start.

On this first day of the New Year I am looking forward to our Winter fraternity session of the SJMV, and to meeting with other priests and seminarians later today. We are going to spend the next couple of days, until Friday afternoon, in priestly fraternity. We will also be opening up together the Holy Father's Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium. I particularly look forward to this. I have read the whole letter and find it to be the fullest call, and  description of the New Evangelisation, which we have yet received. It is rooted in, and builds organically from the first announcement of the New Evangelisation which Paul VI made in 1975, and upon the vision of the New Evangelisation which John Paul II and Benedict XVI gave us. We have received decades of preparation for, and tilling the ground in order to prepare us to be the Church of the new evangelisation. My hope is that this call will find the Church more ready to respond.
Its final and very beautiful paragraphs are focussed on Our Lady; the Holy Father tells us that without her we can't understand the New Evangelisation.
I hope to post more fully on the Exhortation soon - I didn't want to preempt the priestly endeavour which I will be taking part in over the next two days.

No comments: