Saturday 14 July 2007

Parity

I'm back. And what extraordinary news from the Holy Father. We used to speak of "parity for the old rite" in the late seventies but the new "Motu Proprio" is stunning! Thank you, Holy Father.

I don't know whather this Motu Proprio will mean that more Tridentine Masses will be celebrated, but I think that it will have a huge psychological amd theological impact: the Mass is the Mass!


This Act, together with "Redemptionis Sacramentum" and "Sacramentum Caritatis" means not only that the period of liturgical experimentation is over, but that reality of the Mass, as the unchanging and saving action of Christ in history, is now again at the forefront of the Liturgy. And that the Church is actively drawing us into the action of the Mass (whether old or new rite), so that we might be formed by Christ and so that the Liturgical Movement might be better grounded.


On Monday I celebrate my 19th Anniversary of Ordination. I will be offering Mass, using the 1962 Missal, at 7.30pm in Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Huddersfield. (It's the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.) Refreshments afterwards in my Presbytery. If you can come, please do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your anniversary Fr. Glad to have you back..

DrMatthewDoyle said...

Careful father, it only comes into effect in September!! Hehe! If you're ever in Brum and need somebody to serve the 1962 Mass, I'd be honoured. Congrats and God bless!

Peter Hamilton said...

Congratulations Fr. :-)

Have you seen my blog recently?

Perhaps you could advertise on yours if you think its any good.

I only have 50ish hits at the moment and its been live for a few weeks now.

acatholicfamily.blogspot.com

Hope to catch up with you soon!

Yours in Christ

Peter