Tuesday 16 July 2013

On this day ...

 ... twenty five years ago, I was ordained priest. I have always been glad that this day is the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. In a world which, presently, does not look for or want God's action, her example and influence is such a tremendous grace - she waited for, and opened herself up to, the whole mystery of God's plan in Christ. And in such an age, when so many are avoiding or turning their backs on the person of Christ, I was called not only to respond to Him, but also to allow Him to transform my life with His Priesthood.
So much has taken place during the past few weeks which has acknowledged, marked and honoured my priesthood. A particular grace, this week, was to visit, for the first time, the Carmelite Priory at Aylesford and its shrine to St Simon Stock - whom I am identified with by my middle name. (I hope to post some photos of my visit, in due course.)
I am especially grateful to God that He has joined me to that mission which such a venerable host of my countrymen and women embraced in former times and, who in the darkest hour, won England for Christ, and who became signs of the Lord's love for this land. Through them, many years ago, my conscience was awakened to the fact and the presence of Christ; I rely on them still. Martyrs of England and Wales, pray for us.

No comments: